Monday, November 7, 2011

More Ramblings of a Road Trip

Yesterday, walking up Lynnell’s road I stopped to tie my shoe.  As i stood up I noticed a hairy, black tarantula right between my shoes. I think I squeaked!  Where did he come from?  When we go back to look at him he rises up on his hind legs, posturing defensively. Yes, he does look bigger and it works. I am so out of here!

Last night we talked about how  out here in the high desert with absolutely NO light pollution, the stars come right down to the horizon.  There are stars apparently sitting in the treetops on top the canyon wall. They are decorated for the holidays!  It is incredibly beautiful!
8:45 am. Wave goodbye to Abiquiu.

Today, I am on the road heading north, home.
White flanks of antelope, glow in the sunshine
… then for the next ten miles every white rock cluster in the scrubby grass promises to be another herd
Bleached white rib bones curl towards the barb wire fence ~ another victim
Elk crossing sign seems to warn away that very creature
Tears well up, never quite enough to fall out of me, just enough to blur that, which in front of me, wants so badly to recognized as reality. Is this it?
Thoughts that Patricia will never again share this scenery
.... but then again, maybe she is sitting here beside me …
… maybe these are all her observations, reminding me to pay attention ….
I forgot it was October 31 until I stopped for a cup of coffee and handed my $1.50 to an impressive Queen of Hearts! Fun!
11:15 Alamosa ~ catch 17 straight north …. great short cut.
According to one property owner, Hwy 17 is the official UFO Highway; complete with watchtower, camp ground and small geodesic observatory … I keep my eyes open! They must be with the elk!
Sand Dunes on my east, I wave and call out to my friends that live in Crestone.
Joyful Journey Hot Springs looks very prosperous and that makes me feel good. If Patricia were here we would stop for an hour, but alone, I don’t feel enough inspiration … I drive on.
Down into Pagosa Springs, I missed the golden cottonwoods ~ last week’s snow fall must have worn them out.
Salida.   Patricia, remember the time I forgot my suit. We were heading south and we left the highway and popped into the local Wal-Mart.  I still have that bathing suit.
Collegiate Peaks, Arkansas River valley, Dvorak’s Rafting Co …. Earlier time, different friends, glad I lived to tell that story!!
Wide open South Park, rimmed by snow tipped mountains, so close. Light dusting of snow still on the ground.
1:30 Fairplay.  Might miss Denver rush hour , that would be good.

Wait for it … wait for it … ah, there it is. On Kenosha Pass there is one pull off that Patricia showed me the very first time we drove to New Mexico together.  Park the car, locate the small opening in the fence, find a private spot in the junipers, listen for voices, check the wind, squat and pee.  We discussed how much we enjoy peeing outdoors while we were peeing outdoors.  On more shared memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment