Tuesday, March 22, 2011

A Simple Spring Story

It’s Sunday, early afternoon, first day of Spring and the day after the Super Full Moon. Wow!  I head to the kitchen to make a cup of coffee and pour it carefully into my “to go” cup. As I walk past my living room window to grab my car keys I pause for moment to watch the tiny scene unfolding in my front yard. I have been watering the giant trees around my house all day, supplementing the lack of moisture they have received from Mother Nature this winter. My windows are thrown open finally and the living room is filled with the sounds of happy birds; they too are loving this moisture.  In a few weeks I will ask Walker to help me rev up the lawn sprinkler system, but for now I have a hundred foot green garden hose attached to a long skinny spike that spews out mist through a half moon slit. Very simple and easy to move.

Earlier I saw a flock of red-winged black birds standing in the mist, and then came the chattering starlings. It is funny how the tribes travel together. Right now the lawn mister has attracted dozens of fat bellied red robins. They move in and out of the mist, busy, busy, busy.  But what intrigues me are the two that are huddled next to the spike drinking the drops that fall from the connection to the hose. Apparently only two birds at a time can fit there because as one robin glides in; another bird leaves. He raises his little beak and catches the next drop to fall. I think I can almost see him swallow; and again.  I am not sure what feels so sweet about this but it is a tender moment.

I am sure the trees are enjoying the soak and can almost watch the grass turning green.
I have never seen a bird drink like this and wonder if the “red-wings” are watching.
I am thrilled to share my abundance.

No comments:

Post a Comment