Saturday, March 26, 2011

Winding Path to a Small Ass - Part 3 of ??


New Best Friends

Amazingly enough I got over the flue in record time! I told my mom, who had been down with the same bug for three weeks, that I was “so full of joy it chased the flue germs right out of my body.”

I called a dear friend of mine, Damaris, and told her about my good fortune.  I knew she would enjoy riding with me to meet my new best friends, plus I had to choose between two different pairs and her intuition is important to me. My only dilemma was … when?  In one week I was leaving town for five days and, as anxious as I was to meet them, I thought it would be prudent to wait until I got home. I had already enlisted friends and neighbors to come over while I was gone and feed Lakota and her new buddy, Polly, and had drawn up a schedule for who was going to take the two feedings a day. I wondered if doubling my heard was reasonable.

Damaris, who was coming down for the week-end to house-sit, set me straight. “We are gonna go get those donkeys this week-end” she said in a tone of voice that left nothing to talk about except ‘what time of day works best for you.  I visualized her standing there, hands on her hip, leaning slightly forward to accentuate her pronouncement. The picture made me grin. She was as excited as I to meet our new sweethearts.

A few days later as I drove my truck and horse trailer toward the eastern horizon, I kept drifting away from whatever Damaris was talking about. I was sending a ‘thought’ message to the little beings in eastern Colorado. “I am so thrilled to finally meet you. Please know that I already love you with all my heart and will provide you a wonderful home. Please let me know what pair wants to come and join my healing herd.  And know that Lakota is also very excited to welcome you.”

… to be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment