Monday, March 21, 2011

A Winding Path to a Small Ass - Part 1 of ?

Donkey Dreaming

The desire for getting donkeys was planted many years ago when I met my friend’s little mini, Nacho! Randy had one mare and acquired Nacho to be her companion. Horses are herd animals and most prefer not to be alone, but Randy had a small acreage and this miniture donkey fit the lot size. The way Randy tells the story, Nacho quickly established himself as King of the barnyard. It mattered not at all to him that he was ¼ the size of his new pasture mate, he knew he was big enough for the job and brayed his way to the top.
He was adorable in his physical diminutiveness. Standing solidly on all four legs he surveyed the world from the level of my hip. Wiry of coat, with large bright brown eyes, he surveyed his kingdom with a calm countenance.

Fast forward ten years and I find myself on my own little farm with my horse companion, Lakota. I have always had housemates who had horses and shared my desire to live with their ponies in the back yard. So Lakota’s herd has shifted with the comings and goings of my housemates. Maybe not the most desirable situation but it really has worked well for us financially and socially.

Although I do visualize another horse in my future ~ a sturdy, large-boned fox trotter who will not only to be a great trial riding horse but, also a steady companion for Lakota. In my vision he is a big gelding, a clairsentient being who will bring a male energy to the dynamics of my healing herd. But, like my new business, my herd will grow organically as I visualize growth at a sustainable rate.

But in the back of my mind I kept remembering sweet little Nacho and how well he did his job.

... to be continued.

An important note to my readers: 
I have been trying for two weeks to find a clever title for this little saga on getting to know donkeys. From the folks that I have met so far whom already have donkeys and mules, I quickly realized they love making "ass” jokes! It is like they have a proprietary right to drop the word “ass” in normal conversation …. they enjoy the reactions of muggles (those who are not graced to have horses and mules in their lives). 
And I am now a member of their club.
However, if you are offended or if you have a clever title, please feel free to drop me a comment and I will take into consideration all alternatives !! 

Thank you for reading, have a fantabulous day!  * annette.

No comments:

Post a Comment