Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Chocolate.

Chocolate. What a luscious topic. I love knowing that I have it in my freezer, different flavors from different parts of the world. I either have amazing self control or a really poor memory; it can stay in there for a long time. Actually, I always save it for special occasions. 

Oh yeah, I have chocolate in the freezer … saving it for a special day.
Too bad it’s been there forever, nothing special coming my way.
Poor me, oh yeah, poor little me….

Ouch. Sounds like the beginning of a sad country song.

Moving on. Saturday evening I was waiting in line at Staples Office Supply store and there it was, right at eye level.  Hummm, almost 50% off; a row of Ghirardelli chocolate bars. The box of caramel was already empty but there was one bar left with Raspberry Filling … just sitting there.  The man in front of me had questions about a rebate offer on something he was purchasing. I was not listening to his conversation, just minding my own business when the chocolate started calling my name, in a sweet sugary kind of way,

                        “Hey honey, I’m on sale ~ almost half off.
                        How can you pass up a good deal like that?
                        Remember Ghirardelli Square in good ole “San Fran”?
                        Oh yeah, good times. You know you should buy me.
                        You love raspberries. Did I mention I am dark chocolate?
                        You would have picked me over caramel anyway … !!!”

I was abruptly pulled back from my reverie by the check-out girls nasally twang, “Will this be all for you tonight?”

“Oh no,” I smiled, “I guess that I have to have one of these.”  I grabbed the chocolate bar and added it to my small pile of supplies, none as important at the moment as that little pink box.

Working at my computer on Sunday afternoon, I suddenly remembered it in my purse. I pulled it out and ate half of it in one setting … but slowly, taking my sweet time, savoring the pink gooey center. Heck, working on a Sunday I deserved a luscious treat.
This time is special enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment